Mission Statement of the FGI:
The mission of the FGI is to develop and transfer knowledge of factory fabricated flexible geosynthetics, assess and critique factory fabricated geosynthetics, and provide relevant services to member organizations. The FGI and its member companies research and develop opportunities for fabricated flexible geomembranes in environmental, geotechnical, transportation and hydraulic engineering applications, such as:
- Recreational Lakes
- Floating Pond/Reservoir Covers
- Golf Course Lakes, Ponds, and Water Features
- Wastewater Treatment Ponds
- Industrial Waste Ponds and Landfills
- Heap Leach Mining Pads
Goals of the FGI:
The main goal of the FGI is to advance the use of fabricated flexible geomembranes through education, research, and technology transfer. As a result, the main objective of the FGI and this website is be to the sole
informational source for the design, construction, and performance of fabricated flexible geomembranes. To achieve this goal, FGI activities will include, but are not limited to, the following specific tasks:
- Conduct applied research on the engineering, design, and performance of fabricated flexible geomembranes.
- Develop test methods, standards of practice and standard guides for design and construction of fabricated flexible geomembranes.
- Provide training and tutorial services to member organizations and their employees.
- Develop and provide short courses, conferences, symposia, workshops and training sessions on fabricated flexible geomembranes.
- Provide fabricated flexible geomembrane information retrieval services.
- Provide publications in the form of newsletters, books, manuals, reports, journals, papers, articles, columns, notes, and memos.
- Develop a library of case histories involving fabricated flexible geomembranes and their behavior.
- Develop and maintain a website that is the source for fabricated flexible geomembrane news including new products, companies, employees, projects, design ideas, guidance documents, etc.
- Collaborate with other geosynthetics organizations, such as, the GMA, IFAI, ECTC, IAGI, to increase the use of fabricated flexible geomembranes.
- Provide input to legislation related to geosynthetics and in particular fabricated flexible geomembranes.
- Introduce fabricated flexible geomembranes to more engineers and students.
- Involve other universities in FGI activities and research.